IT Project Management
All information about the course can be found in the Moodle course:
Start: 28 October 2022
Access to the Moodle course remains blocked until the day the event begins.The start date of the event will be announced.
- Prof. Dr. Oliver Linssen
If you have content-related or organizational problems with the lecture, the slides, the exercises, the exercise sheets or problems with the schedule, please contact the lecturer of the event.
"Software engineering is a people's business ..." one often hears. In other words: software development is primarily determined by cooperation between people - and not by cooperation between people and machines.
But there is also a problem here: if there are difficulties in development projects, the reasons are more on the human, the management level. And less on the technical one. The solution: professional management that reduces or even avoids problems in software development.
That's easy, you might think. Unfortunately it is not. Because in practice hardly anyone is trained to manage IT projects. For this reason, the management aspects of software development projects are presented in this course.
Based on the critical success factors of software development, today's practice and the specifics of the IT industry, a comprehensive overview of the topic of project management is provided. Phase and process models (Project Management Body of Knowledge [PMBOK], PRINCE2, Rational Unified Process [RUP], Extreme Programming [XP], SCRUM, V-Modell), techniques of project planning, management and control are discussed. Additional topics are: cost estimation (project calculation, function points, COCOMO), requirements management, configuration management and risk management. The event is rounded off with an overview of quality management (ISO 9000, TQM) and the so-called maturity models Organizational Project Management Maturity Model (OPM3) and Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI). Special aspects that will be dealt with are: recognized best practice, iterative-incremental development, use of process models, software development as a service.
Objective of the course
The aim of the course is to provide a qualified insight into the management of software development projects. The basis is the current state of the art. Both theoretical and practical aspects are shown. Particular attention is paid to the success factors of successful project implementation and the criticism of current practice.
- You are able to plan an IT project.
- You are familiar with the principles of planning, organizing, managing and controlling projects.
- You know the specifics of software development projects.
- You are familiar with the different processes during project initialization, project planning, implementation, control and completion.
- You know the most important techniques and methods of project management.
The lecture will be held in seven sessions.
- Introduction to PM, phase models: Introduction and basics, project management in the IT industry, planning of projects, phase models.
- Process models in industrial practice: The project environment, process models, overview of the V-Modell XT, overview of the Rational Unified Process, overview of agile process models.
- Project organization and planning: The organization of projects, project structuring, process and schedule management, resource planning
- Project management: Cost management, performance evaluation and progress measurement, project control
- Requirements and configuration management: Project initialization and project completion, information and reporting, overview of configuration
- Multi-project management and cost estimation: Multi-project management, cost estimation, documentation management
- Risk and quality management, maturity models: Overview of risk management, overview of quality management, overview of ISO9000, overview of maturity models of software development
3-5 chapters (modules) are dealt with in each session.